Book Title: Managing Challenging Behaviors in Schools: Research-Based Strategies That Work (What Works for Special-Needs Learners)
Publisher: The Guilford Press
Author: Kathleen Lynne Lane
- Classwide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports: A Guide to Proactive Classroom Management (The Guilford Practical Intervention in the Schools Series)
- The Revision Toolbox, Second Edition: Teaching Techniques That Work
- Strategies That Work, 3rd edition: Teaching Comprehension for Engagement, Understanding, and Building Knowledge, Grades K-8
- Still Learning to Read, 2nd edition: Teaching Students in Grades 3–6
- What a Writer Needs, Second Edition
- The Meaning of Difference: American Constructions of Race and Ethnicity, Sex and Gender, Social Class, Sexuality, and Disability
- Supporting Behavior for School Success: A Step-by-Step Guide to Key Strategies
- Language Development
- A Teacher's Guide to Special Education
- Special Education in Contemporary Society: An Introduction to Exceptionality
Solidly grounded in research, this book provides an overview of tested, easy-to-implement strategies for preventing problem behavior in the classroom and responding effectively when it does occur. Part I focuses on prevention, discussing best practices in classroom management and instructional delivery. Part II covers more intensive interventions for students who require individualized behavior support. Chapters describe the use of behavioral contracts, self-monitoring, and functional assessment-based interventions. The authors' model is fully compatible with positive behavior intervention and support (PBIS) and response-to-intervention (RTI) frameworks. In a large-size format for easy photocopying, the book includes more than a dozen reproducible checklists, self-assessment tools, and planning forms. Purchasers get access to a Web page where they can download and print the reproducible materials.
See also Supporting Behavior for School Success: A Step-by-Step Guide to Key Strategies, by Kathleen Lynne Lane et al., which provides a quick and easy guide to implementing seven effective low-intensity strategies in the classroom.